1) Just earlier this week, locals and sometimes RFSL contributors (hint, hint, foreshadow, foreshadow) Shadow Shadow Shade released a new video for smash single "Say Yes", directed by O'Shea Read. -- "Say Yes". As you well know, the song beams with cheer, but the video documents the daily struggles of Alfonso Alejo Lopez, an immigrant to Los Angeles who spends his nights selling roses on Melrose to provide for his five children...that he has not seen in 7 years. Shadow Shadow Shade will play on Saturday, August 27 at Sunset Junction, and again on Saturday September 17 at Lobsterfest.
3) Two bits of news from L.A.'s Alright Alright (featured on VFSL as far back as January 26, 2011 with slasher video for "Resurrection Mary"). They are 1) releasing a new EP "Theme Songs for Secret Societies" on August 19, and 2) playing a show at El Cid to promote it. Their last album got good reviews, so I'd be optimistic about this one.
For a taste of their liveness, here they are playing "Deliberately Cryptic" at Kulak's:
4) The Happy Hollows are playing at the Echo on August 18, presumably with their new drummer. I THINK I'M GONNA GO! Are they still one of the best local rock bands in Los Angeles? We'll find out soon. Here's a promotional video for the big event.
5) Diamond Rings (see RFSL interview here) and PS I Love You toured together this spring, and have released a video (directed by Colin Medley) for their collaboration "Leftovers." But there's indeed an L.A. connection to this. The video features live video from their tour, and I'm pretty sure part of the Spaceland show I attended is in there. Diamond Rings is sharing the bill with Twin Shadow at the Troubadour on September 21 and 23.
6) L.A.'s Summer Darling new video for "My Reminder". They will be playing on 8/23 at Harvard and Stone. Much of the video involves peering through a rain-wet window into a girl's apartment, this girl being a big fan of the band apparently. There's a kind of surprise, horrible, NSFW ending.
7) The Dead Trees are from Boston originally, but their new video is called "Back to L.A" It features all sorts of wonderful footage of the L.A. freeway, the Griffith Observatory, ping pong, a California Bear Flag, the beach, Chinatown, the Hollywood sign, palm trees, windmills, something that looks like Joshua Tree and security cameras.
8) Remember the Movies cover night at the Satellite on Saturday June, 25? Apparently, after the show, the bands involved retired to Danny Masterson's house and recorded a series of covers. Click here for all of them, but in the meantime watch this one from Manhattan Murder Mystery:
9) I haven't posted a Take Away Show in a loooong time, but I couldn't resist with this one from Iceland's Retro Stefson, who, may I remind you is one of the most popular bands in the area (also, they all met in middle school). This was recorded in September 2010, but has only been released recently.
Usually I only vaguely suspect that I'm missing something important, but this time around I'm pretty close to 100% sure. Send me an angry email at RFSL jed at gmail dot com.