by Brad Roberts
This week is the start of the fury of year end celebrations with Thanksgiving wiping out the music slate for Thursday night. But it makes a nice four day weekend. This leaves Tuesday and Friday as the biggest music nights of the week with both nights offering very tough choices. I've been enjoying the new Just an Animal CD for a while now, but have yet to see them perform it live, so I'm looking forward to the show at The Satellite this Tuesday because The Western States Motel are taking the night off from their residency at The Roxy - On The Rox. They will return next week with The Californian.
Friday night is spectacular with Travis Wood's Web In Front solo-acoustic extravaganza at Lot 1 with performances by some of L.A. best local musicians including Harley Prechtel-Cortez, Claire Mckeown, Corrine Dinner, Joey Siara, Andy Siara, Malcolm Sosa and too many to mention. And Walking Sleep are holding a Dance Party at The Satellite for a kind of post-Thanksgiving gathering.
The big shows of the week center around multiple performances of historic sets by The Cure on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday at The Pantages and Lucinda Williams does two nights at El Rey on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Monday, November 21
- The Cure @ Pantages Theatre
- Sleeping At Last w/ David Hodges, Vital @ Hotel Cafe
- Rock and Roll Dance Party w/ Electric Children, Boy Beach, Guilty Party, Thee Tee Pees, Black Boots @ Lot 1
- Vanaprasta, Rainbow Jackson, Hands, Incan Abraham @ The Satellite
- "School Night!" w/ DWNTWN and DJ sets by Little Boots, Plastic Plates, Cosmic Kids @ Bardot
- Hi Ho Silver Oh, Helena, The Cosmic Telegram Company, Leslie Stevens, Alex Aleco @ Silver Lake Lounge
- Little Hurricane, The Janks, The Peach Kings, Rachael Cantu @ Bootleg Bar
- M31, The Tleilaxu Music Machine, So Wrong, Creepy Marbles @ Pehrspace
- The Chain Gang of 1974, K.Flay, LESANDS, Tic Tic Boom @ The Echo
The Cure (above) are in town for a three night stand at The Pantages Theatre beginning tonight repeating their show which features performances of their first three albums, Three Imaginary Boys, Seventeen Seconds, and Faith in their entirety. After a successful turn at the Sydney Opera House this spring, they have decided to repeat the performance in London, New York City and here.
A few of the great free residency shows are represented by Vanaprasta at The Satellite with Hands and Incan Abraham, The Chain Gang of 1974 have LESANDS on the bill at The Echo, and Leslie Stevens is playing on the Hi Ho Silver Oh bill at Silver Lake Lounge.
Tuesday, November 22
- Raw Geronimo @ Origami Vinyl
- Ry Cuming, Terraplane Sun, James Carrington, Sydney Sahr @ Hotel Cafe
- The Cure @ Pantages Theatre
- Kiev, Mind the Gap, Also @ The Central
- Lucinda Williams, Blake Mills @ El Rey
- WU LYF, Crystal Antlers @ The Troubadour
- A House for Lions, Torches, Dandelo @ The Echo
- Just an Animal record release show, Kevin Martin, Masxs, Ari Shine @ The Satellite
- Johnzo West, Vanish Valley, Usage Panel, Patrolled By Radar @ Silver Lake Lounge
- The Cooling Time, The Chromium Heart, Square on Square @ Bootleg Bar
Since there's no show this week for the residency of The Western States Motel at The Roxy - On The Rox, I'm all reved up for the Just an Animal CD release show tonight at The Satellite, presented by Moheak Radio and BuzzbandsLA. This should be a blast! Torches are opening for A House For Lions at The Echo and Vanish Valley are at Silver Lake Lounge.
Wednesday, November 23
- Korey Dane, Loretti, Willful Creatures, Spencer Livingston, Sam Outlaw @ Hotel Cafe
- Pyramid Vritra @ Origami Vinyl
- The Cure @ Pantages Theatre
- Lucinda Williams, Buick 6 @ El Rey
- Morrissey, Kristeen Young @ Henry Fonda Music Box Theatre
- Macklemorw & Ryan Lewis, Champagne Champagne, Xperience @ The Troubadour
- Vaud & The Villains @ Fais Do-Do
- Yip Deceiver (Davey Pierce and Nic Dobbratz of Montreal) @ The Satellite
- Derde Verde, The Hugeness, Phaxanation and the Dust Kickers @ Silver Lake Lounge
- Lucky Dragons, Emily Lacy, Ezra Buchla, Jonathan Silberman @ The Smell
- Red Circle Underground, Franco Near Death, Programmed For Pleasure @ Bootleg Bar
- Loveless 3 pre-Thanksgiving party @ Grand Star Jazz Club
Thanksgiving Eve and all is not quite dead yet, There's the final night of The Cure at The Pantages and Lucinda Williams (at right) ending her two-night run at El Rey. There's also a host of modest shows including some good line ups at Bootleg Bar and The Smell for those not stuffing birds or peeling apples.
Thursday, November 24
Friday, November 25
- Web In Front presents "Leftovers" w/ solo acoustic performances by Andy Siara, Andy Creighton, Matt Eckel, Corrine Dinner, Harley Prechtel-Cortez, Jim Putnam, Jonathan Price, Josh Rifkind, Andy Siara, Claire Mckeown, Malcolm Sosa, Jake Gideon @ Lot 1
- Feed The Need Concert III: Viza, Palm Of Granite, The Nukes, 13 Obsessions @ Hotel Cafe
- Crooked Fingers, Strand of Oaks, Graham Lindsey @ The Echo
- Walking Sleep, Shirley Rolls, Far Gone and Out, Midnight Dance Party @ The Satellite
There's no question that the spectacular show over at Lot 1 is one of the most stellar line ups I can imagine, and I heartily support Web In Front...but there can also be no doubt that there will be such a throng of people squeezed into that intimate concert space that the walls will bulge. Other artists scheduled to perform not mentioned above include Andy Creighton, Jake Gideon and Jim Putnam. So if you want to keep your cool and still see great music, head on up the street to The Satellite for Walking Sleep, Shirley Rolls and a post-Thanksgiving Dance Party to exercise off the extra pounds of turkey and pies.
Saturday, November 26
- Peachy Keene, Dead Ships, Dark Furs, Geoff Geis @ Space 15 Twenty (noon)
- Doran Danoff, Steven Rothstein Band, Corn Mo, And All Became @ Hotel Cafe
- Hello Echo, The Californian, Dead Ships, Heroes and Heroines @ Bootleg Bar
- Morrissey, Kristeen Young @ Shrine Auditorium Expo Center
- Swingin' Utters, Far From Finished, Dirty Filthy Mugs, Henchmen @ Hotel Cafe
- Tennis System, United Ghosts, LA Witch @ The Satellite
- Ghiant and friends @ Taix Lounge
Sunday, November 27
- Das Tapes, Weapons Of Audio, Caught A Ghost, Maricopa @ Hotel Cafe
- Melt Banana, 400 Blows, Retox @ Echoplex
- Black Elephant, TraPs, Ps, The Lovely Bad Things, Cosmonauts @ The Smell
- Wreck of the Zephyr, Greenhorse, Nathan Flom @ Bootleg Bar
- The Present Moment, Continues @ The Echo
More? [email protected]