by Brad Roberts
The week begins with Memorial Day, not only to commemorate the sacrifice of our soldiers and veterans, but to remind ourselves that, as a nation, we are still a work in progress. Hopefully, more evolution is in our future. Also, those of us who covered or worked (or simply attended) the Silver Lake Jubilee have a full day to recover It was....quite a party! Thank you Rob Danson for the photo. We'll have writeups and photos later this week from our own writers and photographers.
On Saturday The Beach Boys reunite, again, for a 50th anniversary concert at the Hollywood Bowl, to which everyone seems to be going. Local bands dominate the week with shows from Marvelous Toy, Naive Thieves, Fort King (with a fresh line up), Vanish Valley and Lord Huron shows up at The Troubadour.
Sorry to be late with this post, but it was a very busy weekend!!!
Monday, May 28
- Harriet, Incan Abraham, Rimpau, Thee Rain Cats @ Bootleg Bar
- Dunes, Broken Water, NAPS, Heavy Flow @ The Smell
- Baron Von Luxxury, Harlan, Jinija Safari, The M.I.D.S. @ The Echo
- Voxhaul Broadcast, Wildcat! Wildcat!, LA Font @ The Viper Room
- Frank Fairfield @ Redwood Bar
- "School Night!" w/ Secret Guest Headliner, Samantha Ronson, The Miracles @ Bardot
- Caught a Ghost, Busy Living, True Loves, Dirty Murdered Birds @ The Satellite
- Jason Joseph & The Spectacular w/ special guests, Count, Josh Grondin @ Hotel Cafe
- Hilary Hahn and Hauschka @ El Rey
- Genesis Ian and the NRG, T.R.U.N.K., Red Circle Underground, Kid Gramophone, The Fluffs, Je T'aime @ The Central
There are a lot of interesting shows out there on this Memorial Day holiday. One of the most adventurous and unusual musicians I've ever seen is Hauschka, from Germany, who I saw at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery a few years ago. He played a piano that was adapted to his very special needs with things like ping pong balls or tape or metal beads. It was mind-expanding. Tonight he's part of the program at El Rey in which he collaborates with the gifted violinist, Hilary Hahn, whose background is primarily in classical music. They've just released an album together called Silfra on the Deutsche Grammophon label and are seen in the photo above.
Wildcat! Wildcat! really impressed me at Saturday's Silver Lake Jubilee, and they're at The Viper Room with Voxhaul Broadcast and LA Font. Frank Fairfield is at Redwood Bar as he often is on a Monday night and the May residencies finish up as Harriet play with Incan Abraham, who I also enjoyed at the Silver Lake Jubilee, at Bootleg.
Tuesday, May 29
- Rocco DeLuca, Gospel Music, Among Savages, Zach Ryan & The Renegades w/ special guests @ Hotel Cafe
- Austin Brown, The Milky Way, Eddie Gomez, Palter Ego @ The Central
- Midnight Hour, Act As If, Y Luv @ The Satellite
- Wintersleep, Line & Circle @ The Echo
- Spectre, Jew Cocks, Random Patterns, Diet Thrills Foreman @ Lot 1
- Ides Of Gemini, VUM, The Nocturnes @ Bootleg Bar
The city seems to be taking tonight to decompress after the three-day weekend. Rocco DeLuca (at right) has been doing a few Tuesdays at Hotel Cafe and will play another one tonight, but otherwise the town is pretty quiet.
Wednesday, May 30
- David Ryan Harris, James Bowers Record Release Show, Wisecub @ Hotel Cafe
- "Desert Nights" w/ Farmer Dave Scher, Darren Rademaker, Brandon Mayer @ The Standard
- Escalator Hill Music Video Release, Kyle McNeill, The Irish Goodbye @ El Cid
- Grieves & Budo - Till the Casket Drops Tour, SOL, Intuition @ Troubadour
- Jack White, Pokey LaFarge @ The Wiltern
- Joe Stevens, Adrianne, Garrison Starr, Maia Sharp, Pat Sperry @ Room 5
- Barcelona, Terraplane Sun, Churchill @ The Satellite
- The Clean, The Black Watch, Regal Degal @ The Echo
- Dry The River, Marvelous Toy, Noah and the Megafauna @ Bootleg Bar
- The Dead Ships, News of the Fire, Hello Echo, Herculion @ The Central
- Quetzal Guererro @ Redwood Bar
- Vanish Valley, Owen Valley Dynamite, Service Group, Peachy Keene @ The Down and Out Bar
- Pangea, Each Other, Hags @ Home Room
- Something Witchy This Way Comes :: \\ A Night of Haunting Female Vocals w/ Nostalghia, Dreamers, Jewels of the Nile @ 3 of Clubs
Things pick up again tonight with a host of tempting shows. Escalator Hill are having a video release party at El Cid, Marvelous Toy (spotted on a NY subway this week, at right) open for Dry The River at Bootleg Bar, The Dead Ships play The Central, while Vanish Valley can be seen at The Down and Out Bar. You couldn't go wrong at any of these. On the big stage at The Wiltern, Jack White plays his local tour dates tonight and tomorrow.
Thursday, May 31
- Naive Thieves, Sunshine Factory, The Truffles, Chloroform Days @ Home Room
- Death Songs @ Origami Vinyl
- Horse Feathers, Death Songs, Fort King @ The Echo
- Jack White, Pokey LaFarge @ The Wiltern
- Mariah McManus, The Chances, Little Silver @ Hotel Cafe
- The Eric Andre Show w/ musical guest NOCANDO @ The Satellite
- Diego Garcia, Ryat, Miguel Atwood Ferguson, Aaron Embry @ First Unitarian Church, 2936 W. 8th St.
- Active Child, Lord Huron, Annie Stela @ Troubadour
- Greg Laswell, Elizabeth Ziman of Elizabeth and the Catapults @ El Rey
- Broncho, The Shrine, Zig Zags, Stab City @ Bootleg Bar
Home Room is having a run of good shows this week and tonight is one of the best with Naive Thieves. But I'm anxious to see the new Fort King (at right) line up which is having it's club debut at The Echo, after playing an unscheduled slot on the public stage at Silver Lake Jubilee. Opening for Horse Feathers, and with Death Songs, who also play an early show at Origami Vinyl at 7.
Friday, June 1
- "First Fridays" w/ Cut Chemist, Superhumanoids @ Natural History Museum of L.A.
- So Many Wizards video release, Luna Is Honey, Michael Nhat record release, I.E. @ Home Room
- Jameson & Co., Don McCloskey, Kirk Ross, Scott Mellis EP Release Show, Sioux City Kid, Megan Keely @ Hotel Cafe
- Emeli Sande @ El Rey
- Joe Pernice, The Douglas Fir @ McCabe's
- Julia Stone @ Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever Cemetery
- Black Elephant, Courtaud and Bobtail, Brannigan's Law, Dirty Harriet and The Swamis @ The Smell
- Xiu Xiu, Yamantaka // Sonic Titan, Father Murphy @ Eagle Rock Center for the Arts
- Krautrock Classics: An Evening of Cosmic German Music @ John Anson Ford Theatre
- Tycho, Mister Lies @ Troubadour
- Art vs. Science, The One AM Radio, Teen Daze @ The Echo
- Hospitality @ The Satellite
- ORG Music First Friday w/ Capgun Coup, Milo Gonzalez, Michael Rey & The Woebegones @ Lot 1
- OVIDEO, Fake Furs, Bloody Brains, Blood Buddies, Assembly of Mazes @ Mr. T's Bowl
- The Mother Hips, Old Californio @ Bootleg Bar
Saturday, June 2
- Mind The Gap, Jamestown Revival, Joe Gil, Branches,. Max & The Moon, Scott McFarnon @ Hotel Cafe
- K'noup & Kelly, The Ruby Friedman Orchestra, Help the Doctor, The Relative Strangers, Abbot Kinney, Symphony @ Troubadour
- Cass McCombs Band, The Entrance Band @ El Rey
- Mogwai, Chad VanGaalen @ Henry Fonda Music Box Theatre
- Beach Boys 50th Anniversary Reunion Tour @ Hollywood Bowl
- Detective Record Release Show, Azalia Snail, Nora Keyes, Laughing Eye Weeping Eye, Mistick Krewe of Cove 'n' Hoof @ HM157
- The Bellweather Ambassadors, Bronze Swagger, KG Bird, Plus 2 Bands @ Mr. T's Bowl
- Peter Case @ McCabe's
- Eyes Lips Eyes, Hey Ocean, Young Hunting @ Bootleg Bar (9 PM)
- Charli XCX @ Bootleg Bar (11:55 PM)
- Fancy Space People, Narwhal Perty, Bella Novela, N O W @ Home Room
- Ramshackle Glory, Black Sparrow Press, IGFA Sequoia, Last Legs ! The Smell
The Hollywood Bowl has hosted many legendary concerts during it's long history, and tonight's show of the 50th Anniversary of The Beach Boys (with all the living original members) will undoubtedly join that pantheon. A quirky artist I always enjoy is Chad VanGaalen, who is at The Fonda with Mogwai. Azalia Snail is playing at the Detective record release at HM157.
Sunday, June 3
- Grand Ole Echo w/ Skyline Drive, Chris Shiflett & The Dead Peasants, Whispering Pines, The Coals @ The Echo (5 PM)
- He is We, Deas Vail, South Jordan, Windsor Drive, Off Sale @ Troubadour
- Lana Del Rey @ El Rey
- Violens, Catwalk @ The Echo (10 PM)
- The Duke Spirit, Hacienda @ Echoplex