by Brad Roberts
There are some really nice shows out there this week including the new band Peg at Silver Lake Lounge on Monday, Geronimo Getty at Hotel Cafe on Tuesday, Cardoza at Lot 1 on Wednesday, Tommy Santee Klaws on Thursday at The Echo, NO and Hands at The Satellite on Friday...and then it's the weekend.
Radio Free Silver Lake hosted a wonderful show last Saturday night at The Central starring our friends, Radar To The Sky, who delivered such an astonishing set, in a night filled with amazing music, that I have to use a shot I took as the lead photo this week, I know I should be focusing on upcoming shows, so sue me. I'll write more about this later in the week.
The weekend highlight is two sold out shows Saturday and Sunday at McCabe's with The Mountain Goats. The show was sold out before I even knew about it so count me out. But it's a great opportunity to see one of the finest poet/artists of the 21st century in an intimate setting.
There's lots more inside...
Monday, June 25
- SuperSoul Monday w/ Jason Joseph & the Spectacular w/ special guests, The Endangered, Sonnet, Jason Diaz @ Hotel Cafe
- Graffiti6, Yuna, Early Morning Rebel @ The Troubadour
- JJAMZ, The Orwells, Roya Teeth, Special Surprise Guest @ The Satellite
- Darin Bennett and the Requiem, Jonneine Zapata, Ben Reddell Band, Chris Dye @ Los Globos
- Peg, Hearts of Fire, Keep Your Courage @ Silver Lake Lounge
- "School Night!" w/ ZZ Ward, DWTWN, Icona Pop, Kodaline @ Bardot
- Henson Alternative's Stuffed & Unstrung @ Largo at the Coronet
- Blondfire, The Colourist, Kitten, Monokino @ Bootleg Bar
- Mansions on the Moon, The New Limb @ The Central
- ESP, Adventure Time, Pharoahs, Drug Cabin @ The Echo
- Sean Carnage presents In the Womb, Opponentsf, Celebrator, Vaginals @ Pehrspace
With a pedigree of musicians from the bands The Like - Z Berg, The Elected - Michael Runion, Rilo Kiley - Jason Boesel, Phantom Planet - Alex Greenwald and Maroon 5 - James Valentine you'd be a fool to miss out on a last chance to catch JJAMZ as they wind up their June residency at The Satellite with some surprise special guests. About to go off on a cross country tour through July, they're likely to come back bigger than ever and move into medium and large venues from now on, like The Wiltern on July 30. I'm also told I've been negligent in not getting over to The Bootleg to see The Colourist where they resided with Blondfire for the month, as well as E.S.P. at The Echo.
But if I get out tonight it would be to go over to Silver Lake Lounge to see Peg, a new band with Avi Buffalo and Tenlons Fort drummer, Sheridan Riley, who lends a golden touch to any band she's in. And Mansions on the Moon and The New Limb are out at The Central.
Tuesday, June 26
- Sarah Donner, Max & The Moon, Geronimo Getty, Desert Noises, Flowerglass @ Hotel Cafe
- The Picture and the Frame, The Sunset Drifters, Ray Arcyle, Rod Mlancon, Ted Z & The Wranglers @ Silver Lake Lounge
- 2:54, Widowspeak @ The Troubadour
- High Places, LA Vampires @ Los Globos
- Skyline Electric, 5Track's Epic Striation, Obscurer @ Human Resources
- ∆AIMON release show @ Vacation Vinyl
- EeKiS, Palace Walls, CReePS, Vs Colour @ Lot 1
- Friends, Dreamers, Splash! @ The Echo
- Infantree record release, Tumbleweed Wanderers, The Royalty @ The Satellite
- Beachwood Sparks record release/listening party @ The Satellite upstairs lounge
- Scott Lucas And The Married Men, John Carpenter, El May @ Bootleg Bar
- Gingger Shankar @ Largo at the Coronet
- Warships, Handshakes, Field Trip, La Mer, Piney Gir @ The Central
- The Men @ The Smell
Some nice sets scattered around town tonight which include the quirky songwriting (it's a week with lots of quirky songwriting) of Geronimo Getty in Hollywood at Hotel Cafe, while Warships are over at The Central. A couple of record release shows are on the books for The Satellite with Beechwood Sparks having a record listening/record release at the upstairs lounge, while Infantree does their release show for their album, Hero's Dose, (cover art at right) in the main room.
Wednesday, June 27
- Joshua Smith, Rozzi Crane, Melissa Polinar, Piney Gir, Moi Navarro @ Hotel Cafe
- "Desert Nights" w/ The Sister Ruby Band, Javier Dunn, Broken Anchor @ The Standard
- Jimmy Cliff @ The Troubadour
- Downtown/Union, Tenlons Fort, The Wild Bunch, Eugene Carmel @ The Good Hurt
- Sonos @ Bootleg Bar (8 PM)
- Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound, The Shrine, Bowery Beasts @ Bootleg Bar (9 PM)
- Mystery Jets, The Little Ones @ The Satellite
- SoKo @ Skybar at Mondrian
- K-Holes, Dante Vs Zombies, Electric Flower Group, Wild Betsy @ HM 157
- A Celebration of Miles Davis @ Hollywood Bowl
- Cardoza, The Health Club, One Trick Pony @ Lot 1
- The Hundred in the Hands, One AM Radio @ The Echo
Another chance to see Tenlons Fort, which I would urge, out at The Good Hurt where Downtown/Union are having a show with The Wild Bunch also on the bill. Nice line up, but I need to get over to one of the Cardoza residencies at Lot 1. And with The Health Club and One Trick Pony playing, this is unavoidable. Wonderful shot from his June 11th show by Amy Darling. The Little Ones, who we don't see nearly enough of, are playing with England's Mystery Jets at The Satellite, oh, and Jimmy Cliff is at The Troubadour. Good shows at The Echo, HM 157 and Bootleg Bar.
Thursday, June 28
- Mariah McManus, Haley & Michals, Shannon Haley and Ryan Michaels Band w/ Molly Swank, Shady Maples, Scott James @ Hotel Cafe
- Grant Lee Buffalo, Tommy Santee Klaws @ The Echo
- Justin Townes Earle, Tristen @ El Rey
- Blackwater Jukebox, The Picture and the Frame, Early Bizrd @ Taix Lounge
- Sucker For Pumps, Great White Buffalo, Dandelo, Pony, Reb Kennedy @ The Troubadour
- Lovers Drugs, The Active Set @ The Satellite
- KXLU presents Religious Girls, Unstoppable Death, Batwings Catwings, Stab City @ Pehrspace
- The Heavy, The Skins, Wake Up Lucid @ Bootleg Bar
Easy decision for me as whenever Tommy Santee Klaws play at The Echo, I want to try to catch it. They make that room sing! KXLU is presenting a raucous line up at Pehrspace with Stab City, Batwings Catwings and Religious Girls (the flyer at right should be of some assistance in attending this show).
Friday, June 29
- Kevin Earnest w/ Chris Saunders @ Room 5
- Amanda Jo Williams @ Origami Vinyl
- Everclear, Sugar Ray, Gin Blossoms, LIT, Marcy Playground @ The Greek
- Sophie B. Hawkins w/ Sweet Talk Radio, Sara Ault, Hunter Parrish, Guardian Ghost @ Hotel Cafe
- Chris Smither @ McCabe's
- Gardens & Villa, So Many Wizards, Finn Riggins @ The Troubadour
- Jon Brion @ Largo at the Coronet
- Jonathan Richman @ The Echo
- Keane, Mystery Jets @ Orpheum Theatre
- Russian Circles, Chelsea Wolfe, And So I Watch You From Afar, DEAFHEAVEN @ El Rey
- Buzzbands LA presents NO, Hands, HOTT MT @ The Satellite
- Brown And Blue, Run On Sunshine, Hug Of War, Brodie Foster Hubbard @ The Smell
- Evertheory, The Victor Ship, Lightsystem, Polygraph, Imagery @ Mr. T's Bowl
- Flosstradamus, DJ Dodger Stadium, Jonwayne, Keltronix @ Los Globos
- LA Ghost, Pool Honeys, Drinking Flowers, Sandy Pussy @ Home Room
- Chris Smither @ McCabe's
Amanda Jo Williams last show for a little while will be at Origami Vinyl tonight at 7. Gardens & Villa and So Many Wizards are area bands working their way into The Troubadour, and I have enjoyed shows by Russian Circles before, so if you want loud, pulsating, psychedelic rock head over to El Rey. As for me, I'll be going to The Satellite for the Buzzbands LA show with one of my favorite recent discoveries, NO, who have knocked me out twice recently (at Silver Lake Jubilee and Make Music Pasadena, shown at right) with their sturdy, crisply sung, baritone-led indie rock. The seem ready to hit big. All elements are in place. The fact the show also features Hands just guilds the lily.
Saturday, June 30
- Baby Dee, Tim Cohen @ The Echo
- Heavy Hawaii @ Origami Vinyl
- Mind the Gap, Buddy, Heaps n Heaps, Melody Walker @ Hotel Cafe
- Foster The People, Mayer Hawthorne & the County, Kimbra @ Gibson Amphitheatre
- Lower Dens, No Joy, Alan Resnick @ The Troubadour
- The B-52s, Squeeze @ The Greek
- The Mountain Goats (solo), Dustin Wong @ McCabe's
- The Soft Pack, Abe Vigoda, Dunes, Blundertown DJs @ Bootleg Theatre
- Karmic, Little Red Lung, Bikos @ The Satellite
- Raw Geronimo, VUM, Dead Dawn, Lost Rockets @ HM 157
Among the heavy hitters tonight are The Mountain Goats fulfilling the first night of a two day, sold out engagement at McCabe's. The Satellite has scheduled Little Red Lung for a show tonight with Karmic and if you missed her triumphant performance at Eagle Rock Center for the Arts last Friday, don't miss this.
O.K... The B-52s. What can I say except they were the last concert I saw before taking a 25 year break from rock and roll concerts and they were most definitely NOT the reason why. (It had more to do with lousy venues and impossible ticket availability. I had just moved from Boston where it was much easier to see big concerts). They were electrifying then and they still are now. Quite a feat for a band who's stock-in-trade was their youthful exuberance. They still have it and tonight bring it to The Greek. You should go.
Sunday, July 1
- The Mountain Goats (solo), Dustin Wong @ McCabe's
- Grand Ole Echo w/ Jason Heath & The Greedy Souls, Craig Elkins, James Low and The Western Front, Sugar In The Ground, Blue Dolphins @ The Echo (5 PM)
- Wax Idols, Dead Angle, Shark Toys @ The Echo (10 PM)
- Ben Harper, Fitz & the Tantrums, Vieux Farka Toure @ Hollywood Bowl
- Brendan Hines, Math and Science, Ali Young @ Bootleg Bar
- Madi Diaz, Harper Blynn @ The Troubadour
If one was lucky enough to have secured tickets for this sold out show, one would be at McCabe's to see The Mountain Goats. I have been a fan ever since I first got back into music and his albums and live shows (I've probably seen him six times or so) have always been as inspirational as they are amusing. John Darnielle has a most unique and individual vision.
This just in: Breast Fest is a festival to raise awareness for Beats For Boobs, a non-profit breast cancer research organization and it's taking place at Touch Vinyl from noon to midnight. Among the participating bands are Walk, Nacosta, The Health Club, Odd Modern and many more performing for this most important cause.