by Brad Roberts
The Fourth of July holiday slices the week in half and except for the annual extravaganza at the Hollywood Bowl, the major houses and some clubs are virtually shuddered for the week. Still there's some attractive shows out there. Let me be your guide. This year Barry Manilow is headlining the Monday - Wednesday Bowl Fireworks Show.
A whole array of new residencies crop up on Monday with Terraplane Sun taking over The Satellite, American Royalty (would that be the 1 per cent?) at The Echo and Pam Shaffer moving into Lot 1. There's a slump in the middle of the week but by Friday the town is hopping again offering some great choices for Friday and Saturday.
Races are moving up to play The Troubadour and congratulations to them. Also on the bill, the super-fuzzy, semi-glam rock of Gliss is always hypnotic, so this should be a terrific show on Friday. The great Tenlons Fort are headlining my Feed Your Head show at Lot 1 on Saturday and I'm thrilled to be presenting former Castledoor couple, Nate and Liska Cole in their latest project, Doom & Gloom. More details inside...
Monday, July 2
- The Milky Way, Brian Ashton, The Killbots @ The Central
- Pam Shaffer, Victoria Noll, Chris Price, Milo Gonzalez @ Lot 1
- Darin Bennett and the Requiem + Jonny Two Bags @ Los Globos downstairs
- SuperSoul Monday w/ Jason Joseph & The Spectacular w/ special guests, Andrew Watt, Kita Klane @ Hotel Cafo
- American Royalty, The Orwells, Tropical Popsicle @ The Echo
- Terraplane Sun, The Steelwells, Sunken Ships, Family Wagon @ The Satellite
- "School Night!" w/ Jaz James, String Fellow Hawks and more @ Bardot
- Family of the Year, Tashaki Miyaki, The Janks @ Bootleg Bar
- Paulie Cerra, Jodi Siegel, Joel Eckels, Joey Delgado @ Room 5
Family of the Year (at right) kick off a split residency at Bootleg Bar where they play this week and next week. JMSN plays with FOTY next week and then take over as headliner for the rest of the month's Mondays. Pam Shaffer is beginning a residency at Lot 1 tonight featuring Victoria Noll, as well as Terraplane Sun at The Satellite with Sunken Ships, and American Royalty bring Tropical Popsicle to The Echo. Monday continues to be one of the hardest nights of the week.
Tuesday, July 3
- Beach House, Wild Nothing @ El Rey
- Blondfire, Relative Motion, In The Valley Below @ The Central
- Casey Barnes, Irene Diaz, Kinsey Rose @ Room 5
- Lyle Lovett and his Acoustic Group @ The Wiltern
- Big Freedia, Zebra Katz, AB SOTO @ Echoplex
- Delicate Steve, Icy Demons, Pregnant @ The Echo
- Busy Living, Incan Abraham, FM @ Bootleg Bar
- Johnny Madcap & The Distractions @ Redwood Bar
- Manicorn, The ABIGAILS, White Murder, Thee Merry Wells @ The Smell
- Nightmare Air, Strange Parade, Cardboard Lamb, Jimmy Tamborello (DJ set) @ The Satellite
Blondfire trade in one residency for another. After splitting a residency with The Colourist at Bootleg Bar last month they plunge right into another one every Tuesday at The Central. Incan Abraham (at right) open for Busy Living at Bootleg while Lyle Lovett plays The Wiltern and Beach House sell out El Rey.
Wednesday, July 4
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY
There are no shows.
Thursday, July 5
- Donovan Frankenreiter, Jeff Young @ Santa Monica Pier
- Naia Kete, Zach Ryan & The Renegades, The Wild Reeds, Barnaby Saints, Marie Moreshead @ Hotel Cafe
- Mala Rodriguez, Los Rakas, DJ Ethos, DJ Santi @ The Troubadour
- Valient Thorr, Holy Grail, The Shrine, Royal Thunder, The Kickass @ The Down and Out Bar
- Freekstar, The Glimmer Stars @ Redwood Bar
- In One Wind, Leverage Models, HeavyHanded, Van Exel, Grandpire @ Silver Lake Lounge
- Mates of State, The Stepkids, Pageants @ The Echo
- Summer Twins, Doom Ghost, The Rich Hands, 3 1/2, Nicholas Chacon @ Pehrspace
- Young Empires, Humans, Kiven @Bootleg Bar
Summer shows resume at Santa Monica Pier tonight with Donovan Frankenreiter, while Mates of State appear with psychedelic dream-pop artists Pageants at The Echo. Summer Twins have a show at Pehrspace.
Friday, July 6
- The Entrance Band @ California Plaza (12 noon)
- In One Wind, Leverage Models @ Origami Vinyl
- Maddie & The Bad Hats, Kelly Paige @ Hotel Cafe
- Albert Lee @ McCabe's (8 PM & 10 PM)
- Andy Clockwise, A House For Lions, Jesse Kivel @ The Central
- Fly Paper, SdotNoel, Glynis Leflore, Felicia Barton @ Room 5
- Races, Gliss, Lili Haydn @ The Troubadour
- The Dustbowl Revival, Alma Desnuda and guests @ The Mint
- Bass Drum of Death, DZ Deathrays, Pangea @ The Echo
- Everybody Else, Baywood, Ertel @ Bootleg Bar
- Last in Class, Spirit Vine, Horse Thief, Dignitary @ The Satellite
- Lava Lava, Peter Pants, Dustin And The Explosions, You, Me & Us @ The Smell
- The Vitals, Late Again, The Cooling Time @ Lot 1
- Victoria Noll, Penny Dreadful @ Pehrspace
O.K. you could start with The Entrance Band at noon downtown at California Plaza, be at Origami Vinyl at 7 for In One Wind and still get to The Troubadour for Gliss and Races for a full day of great music.
Saturday, July 7
- Elevaters, Marc Robillard, Jamar Rogers, iHeart Stereo , Mary Lorson @ Hotel Cafe
- Angels Landing, eENIK, Barbarian Overlords, Lee Anduze, Lumaria @ The Troubadour
- Blind Pilot, Laura Gibson @ Henry Fonda Music Box Theatre
- California Guitar Trio @ McCabe's
- Cory Branan, Audra Mae, Brett Detar @ The Mint
- Vans Classic Summer Party w/ Yacht, Papa, Special Guest @ Bootleg Bar
- Escalator Hill, Auditorium @ Casey's Bar
- Feed Your Head presents Tenlons Fort, Young Empress, Doom & Gloom, Rodman @ Lot 1
- Death Hymn #9, Buffalo Tooth, The Shrills, Creepers @ Redwood Bar
- Mates of State, The Stepkids, New Life @ The Echo
- Rags and Ribbons, Queen Caveat, Echoes De Luxe, Trophy Fire @ The Satellite
- Traps PS, Cosmonauts, Deadly Finns, Geoff Geis @ Pehrspace
Fresh talent abounds at the Feed Your Head presents Tenlons Fort show tonight at Lot 1 and if I do say so myself, this is going to be a great one. Not only are Nate and Liska Cole of Castledoor showcasing a new project called Doom & Gloom, Downtown/Union are scheduled to perform at the show, as well as a new band called Rodman to round out the bill.
Sunday, July 8
- Eleni Mandell, Alex Lilly @ Federal Bar (11:30 AM)
- Grand Ole Echo w/ Funeral Club, Rick Shea, THE HI-HO'S @ The Echo (5 PM)
- Paper Bird, The Shore, The Far West @ Bootleg Bar
- The Darlings, Dime Runner @ Redwood Bar
- Deathray, DVA DAMAS @ The Echo (10 PM)
If I hadn't had the show last night at Lot 1, I would try to get up early and head down to the Federal Bar to see Alex Lilly who's appearing with Barbara Gruska on a bill starring Eleni Mandell. Eleni has a new album due out on July 10 called I Can See The Future. I can't think of a nicer way to start Sunday morning. The Far West are part of the show at Bootleg Bar tonight.