by Brad Roberts
The Echo Park Rising festival on Saturday (August 25th) looked, from my vantage point, to be a wild success. I heard so much great music under so many pleasant circumstances that I will be posting a review later in the week. Sitting in the backyard concert space of Sancho Gallery on Sunset Blvd, I was transfixed by the beauty of the setting, so I snapped this picture at right, and as it typifies the feeling of the day, here it is. This week's festival is the FYF Fest downtown at L.A. State Historic Park which takes place next Saturday and Sunday and features the wonderful Beirut, as well as Refused, The Faint, and a whole host of nearly 100 bands from all over. We at Radio Free Silver Lake will be around to cover it.
It's the final week for the August residencies of Francisco The Man at The Satellite, Meg Myers at Bootleg and Wildcat! Wildcat! at The Echo on Monday, The Ross Sea Party at The Central on Tuesday, and Open Mike Andrews at The Bootleg and Cigarette Bums at Lot 1 on Wednesday. There are some great residencies cropping up all over for the rest of the year so stay tuned for more news like the rumored Torches residency at Echoplex during November. Whoo-hoo! There's a hot show at 3 of Clubs on Wednesday night featuring some bright local talent like Animal Raps and The World Record among others.
Politics. How will we ever last till November. Grab the popcorn and get ready to see the parade of American neanderthals that begins in Tampa on Monday Tuesday. Mitt-wit and his wife, Angry Ann, 'Pugsley' Ryan and a host of brilliant keynote speakers like Donald Trump and his dead ferret, Ayn Rand Paul, and token minority-bait Marco Rubio will practice evasion, dodging and obfuscation in introducing the party platform, along with their attempts to arm every fetus with a gun. Now we get to watch this fractured party try to present a united front to America. And now a hurricane is threatening the gulf coast again, metaphorically taking the wind out of the sails of the whole charade.
Go see some music...
Monday, August 27
- Francisco The Man, HOTT MT, The Fling, Summer Twins @ The Satellite
- "School Night!" w/ Chester French, ESP, Snowblink @ Bardot
- Carreons @ Los Globos
- Week + Babysitter @ Origami Vinyl
- SuperSoul Monday w/ Jason Joseph & The Spectacular w/ special guests, Bleu, Air Traffic Controller, Jess Furman @ Hotel Cafe
- Hunnypot Radio, Fire in the Hamptons, KOT, FiNaTTicZ @ The Central
- Meg Myers, The Peach Kings, Diamonds Under Fire, Max and The Moon @ Bootleg Bar
- Pussy Riot Benefit Show w/ Vivian Girls, Kremlin Head, Haim, Pangea @ The Smell
- The Very Best, Tokimonsta, Jonwayne, Weapons Of Audio @ Echoplex
- Wildcat! Wildcat!, DWNTWN, Gold Fields, Frank + Derol @ The Echo
- Sean Carnage presents Sex Wounds, Tremellow, AxRxM, The Myonic @ Pehrspace
Back to the residencies for tonight's entertainment. Wildcat! Wildcat! features DWNTWN and Gold Fields on their bill at The Echo, while Francisco The Man offers The Fling and Summer Twins at The Satellite. A benefit performance for Pussy Riot takes place at The Smell with Vivian Girls, Haim and Pangea.
Tuesday, August 28
- Kristin Hirsh @ Bootleg Theatre
- Spain record release, Mike Watt + The Missingmen @ Bootleg Bar
- Divine Fits @ Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever Cemetery
- Roman Candle Wars, The Young Romans, Italian Japanese, The Janks @ Trip Bar
- The Peach Kings, The Record Company @ Harvard & Stone
- Wakey!Wakey!, Tommy Walter of Abandoned Pools Record Release Show, Kita Klane @ Hotel Cafe
- The Ross Sea Party, The Mid Cities, The Dead Ships, Opus Orange @ The Central
- Dethtrip Forever, Them Howling Bones, Randy Michael & The Sharp Dressed Lads, The Ugly Kids @ Redwood Bar
- Kamasi Washington, Brandon Coleman, Miles Mosley @ The Echo
- Mad Planet record release, Ballerina Black, Tic Tic Boom! @ The Satellite
- Why?, Adventure Time, Serenge@ Echoplex
- Touché @ Los Globos
Another terrific show put on by The Ross Sea Party out at The Central for their residency with The Mid Cities and The Dead Ships on the bill. Divine Fits at Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Touché is part of a dance show at Los Globos hosted by Fever and LA Record, with DJ sets by Nomerica.
Thematic shows seem to be the order of the night with geography-specific bands Roman Candle Wars, The Young Romans and Italian Japanese together at Trip Bar, death-obsessions are represented by Dethtrip Forever and Them Howling Bones at Redwood Bar while I find the notion of exploding ballerinas amusing (in an SCTV kind of way) with Ballerina Black and Tic Tic Boom! playing for the Mad Planet record release at The Satellite.
Wednesday, August 29
- Open Mike Andrews, Alam Khan and Salar Nadir @ Bootleg Bar
- Jounce, Gun Outfit @ The Smell
- Cigarette Bums @ Lot 1
- The Makepeace Brothers, Marina V, JOHNA @ Witzend
- Concrete Blonde, Menkena @ The Troubadour
- Celebrating Peace w/ Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Cindy Blackman Santana, Carlos Santana and more @ Hollywood Bowl
- "Desert Nights" w/ Jesse Tyre Karp, Ted Wendler, Anna Nelson @ The Standard
- Hoots & Hellmouth, The Trishas, David & Devine, Dorian Wood, All My Pretty Ones
@ Hotel Cafe
- Poolside, Pharoahs @ The Echo
- The Drowning Men, Cheap Girls, Baywood @ The Satellite
- The World Record, Animal Raps, Go West Young Man, Matthew Teardrop @ 3 of Clubs
- Questlove, Scoop Deville, Cazal Organism, Colta @ The Airliner
3 of Clubs is the place to be tonight. Rebecca Balin has put together a hot line up with The World Record, Animal Raps, Go West Young Man with Matthew Teardrop (at right at Echo Park Rising on Saturday) opening. The variety of talent on stage make it one of the most impressive shows of the week. Also a great show at Hollywood Bowl Celebrating Peace featuring Herbie Hancock and Carlos Santana among other greats.
Thursday, August 30
- Adam Arcuragi, Ferraby Lionheart w/ full band, Tall Tales & The Silver Lining, Fire Chief Charlie, Flying Sparks @ Hotel Cafe
- Health, Tearist, Eli Glad @ The Echo
- Nancy & Beth, Jack Black @ Largo at the Coronet
- Chicano Batman, Boogaloo Assassins @ Bootleg Bar
- Saviours, Black Cobra, Behold! The Monolith, Secrets From The Sky @ Los Globos
- The Entrance Band, The Tyde, The Abigails @ The Satellite
DECISION:Some nice shows out there tonight with The Entrance Band headlining a bill that includes The Tyde. Ferraby Lionheart (at right) plays with a full band this evening at Hotel Cafe. Also on the schedule is Tall Tales & The Silver Lining.
Friday, August 31
- Jesse Thomas, Lera Lynn, Paula Nelson Band @ Hotel Cafe
- Desaparecidos, Big Harp @ The Troubadour
- Old 97's, Those Darlins, Rhett Miller @ El Rey
- Brown Bird, These United States, The Janks @ The Satellite
- Fay Wrays, Downtown/Union, Cardoza @ Casey's Bar
- Niki And The Dove, Devin @ The Echo
- This Bike Is A Pipe Bomb, Shellshag, Moses Campbell @ The Smell
- Trapdoor Social, Lostine, Billy Ray Cyrus @ Bootleg Bar
Let's go downtown for a show at Casey's Bar with Fay Wray, Downtown/Union (seen at right at Lot 1 in July) and Cardoza. These shows tend to start late and run into the morning but are always a good time. Always noteworthy is Moses Campbell at The Smell and also These United States at The Satellite tonight.
Saturday, September 1
- FYF Fest 2012 @ Los Angeles State Historic Park
- The Last Bison, Clare Means Record Release Show, Alicia Witt, Taylor Greenwood, The Honeycutters, Alaska Reid @ Hotel Cafe
- Frankenstein & Friends, The Bloodhounds, Death Lens, Douglas & The Furs, My Own Holiday @ Lot 1
- Luciana Souza @ The Broad Stage
- Old 97's, Those Darlins, Rhett Miller @ El Rey
- The Sweet Repose CD release, Open Air Stereo, Electric Soul Company @ The Troubadour
- Nerf Herder, Tsar, Dollyrots @ Bootleg Bar
- White Murder, The Stalins of Sound, Shirley Rolls, Thee Merry Wells @ Redwood Bar
- FYF Fest Afterparty w/ The Shrine, Feeding People, Savage Gospel @ Footsie's Bar
Here we go again! It's the FYF Fest that begins today is the big show of the week with headliners like Warpaint, The Growlers, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Chairlift and The Soft Pack leading a lineup that includes nearly 50 bands each day. Taking place downtown in L.A. State Historic Park there is an $89. price tag for a two-day ticket, so that in itself should provide some crowd-control. For those not engaged in festival activities, there'll be a Shirley Rolls set over at Redwood Bar.
Sunday, September 2
- Javier Dunn, All Spots to Black, Jake Newton @ Bootleg Bar
- Madeleine Peyroux @ The Broad Stage
Well the Saturday FYF Fest probably has left a lot of people pretty wrung out, so let's get ready to do it again today! Beirut (at left) and The Faint are tonight's headliners after a busy day filled with the likes of Yeasayer, Dinosaur Jr and Allah-Las bringing the festivities to a high-toned climax. This takes care of most of this summer's festivals. All I see is The Eagle Rock Music Festival on the horizon the first Saturday in October.