by Brad Roberts
There are good shows every night of the week this week, but I am most anxious for the Andrew Bird (at right) concert at The Greek next Sunday. His new album, Break It Yourself, is destined for a place on my 'Best Of The Year" list so I'm particularly looking forward to hearing it live. I've seen him at The Greek before and it's a perfect venue for this classical/indie rock hybrid artist. Sigur Ros has a sold out show at the Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever Cemetery that same night that also sounds like the perfect blending of artist and venue. But that is all the way on next Sunday.
Pageants are accumulating a firm fan base with their unusual and unique sound and you can catch them at The Echo twice, once this week on Thursday with The Black Apples, and next Monday for the Wildcat! Wildcat! residency. The Happy Hollows have returned to the concert stage in a blaze of glory and good press, and on Saturday they're at The Satellite. That same night Seasons are opening for White Denim over at The Troubadour, which should be some great exposure for them.
Monday, August 6
- SuperSoul Monday w/ Jason Joseph & The Spectacular w/ special guest It's All Bridget Sarai, David Ramirez, Lorelei Carlson @ Hotel Cafe
- Francisco The Man, Chasing Kings, The Wind, Monte Mar @ The Satellite
- Green Day (Surprise Show) @ Echoplex
- "School Night!" w/ Jukebox The Ghost, Neil Halstead, Garrison Starr, The Wild Maps @ Bardot
- Meg Myers, Adam Oliver, Mitt & The Romneys @ Bootleg Bar
- Wildcat! Wildcat!, Aan, Incan Abraham, Fortress Social Club @ The Echo
- Sean Carnage presents Andy the Doorbum, Big Sexy, Stab City, Doses @ Pehrspace
It would have been a night to check out one of the new August residencies, except that Green Day decided to trump it all with a surprise show at Echoplex. Tickets go on sale today at 10 AM and there won't be a hope in hell of getting a ticket except through a lucky twist of fate. Though I missed the whole Green Day movement, I am aware that their popularity make this the hardest ticket of the week.
Among the residencies starting up today, Wildcat! Wildcat! are at The Echo with Incan Abraham, and Francisco The Man open a tenancy at The Satellite with Chasing Kings tonight. "School Night!" has a big blow out at Bardot with four bands including Jukebox the Ghost and The Wild Maps.
Tuesday, August 7
- Jesca Hoop, Jesse Harris @ Largo at the Coronet
- Husky, Cowboy & Indian, Neon Hymns, Hank May @ Hotel Cafe
- Black Hi-Lighter, Tygers of Wrath, Black Lullabies @ Bootleg Bar
- Jay Brannan, Chris Pureka #@ The Troubadour
- Buzzbands LA and Moheak Radio present The Ross Sea Party, Blonde Summer, Kevin Earnest, Hello Echo @ The Central
- Redd Kross record release, Tijuana Panthers, Pangea @ The Roxy
- Bear in Heaven, Rainbow Arabia, Electric Flower Group @ Echoplex
- Dethtrip Forever, Knight Stalker, Cab 20 @ Redwood Bar
- Dorian Wood, El-Haru Kuroi, Tes Elations @ The Echo
- The Peach Kings, The Dark @ Harvard & Stone
- Violet Tremors, Secret Society (((6))), Deathday @ 3 of Clubs
I really screwed this one up...It looks like Buzzbands LA has two shows tonight. No they don't, one is called Second Tuesday because it falls on the second Tuesday of the month. Not this week, dummy! The real one is at The Central with The Ross Sea Party (at right) and Blonde Summer, next Tuesday (the 14th) is the one at Lot 1, which features Fort King, College Kids and Doom and Gloom.
Wednesday, August 8
- Woods, Peaking Lights, Wet Ilustrated @ The Echo
- Wino & Conny Ochs @ The Satellite
- Cigarette Bums, The Ugly Kids @ Lot 1
- Open Mike Andrews, Daedelus @ Bootleg Bar
- The Makepeace Brothers, Marina V @ Witzend
- Ice Age w/ special guests @ The Central
- Langhorne Slim & The Law, Jessica Lea Mayfield @ The Troubadour
- "Desert Nights" w/ Husky, Races, The Sister Ruby Band @ The Standard
- Dan Bern & Common Rotation, Max Gomez, IAmDynamite, The Great Elk @ Hotel Cafe
Great night to check out the "Desert Nights" series over on The Strip at The Standard where Races (above) and The Sister Ruby Band open for Husky from Australia. These shows start at 7:30 so get here early.
Thursday, August 9
- Spaceland Under The Stars: Western Canon @ Pershing Square
- Shovels & Rope, Quiet Life, Olin & The Moon, My Name Is You, All Spots To Black, Wouter Kellerman @ Hotel Cafe
- Sarah Jarosz, Willy Watson @ The Troubadour
- Black Apples, Young Hunting, Palms, Pageants @ The Echo
- Jeffertitti's Nile, Boo Boo Childs @ The Virgil
- The Entrance Band, White Magic, Paz Lenchantin @ The Satellite
- Thomas Wynn and the Believers, Dustbowl Revival, Mojo Stone @ Bootleg Bar
- Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, RL Grime, Anna Lunoe @ Echoplex
Friday, August 10
- Dale Goodridge @ Origami Vinyl
- FM Radio featuring Schuyler Fisk w/ Ryan Lerman, Oak & Gorski, Jessarae @ Hotel Cafe
- Fang Island, Zechs Marquise, Adebisi Shank @ The Troubadour
- Foxygen, NO, Vinyl Williams, George Ben Sun (of AM) DJ set @ The Central
- Jack White @ The Shrine
- Norah Jones @ Hollywood Bowl
- Agalloch, Taurus, Oskoreien @ Echoplex
- Beat Club, Sofia Bolt @ The Satellite
- Brown and Blue, Fort Wife, Novi Split @ Pehrspace
- Daniel Hart @ Echo Country Outpost
- Eyes Lips Eyes, Le Blorr, Tapioca and The Flea @ Bootleg Bar
Nice variety available tonight includes another chance to catch up-and-coming band NO at a nice intimate venue like The Central, before they blow up big and go out on tour with Electric Guest in October, landing in Los Angeles at El Rey on November 4th. This band is poised for great things based on their dynamic live performances. They're opening at The Central for Foxygen.
Saturday, August 11
- War Widow @ Casey's Bar
- Black Lantern @ Origami Vinyl
- The Power of the Riff Festival @ Echoplex
- SanguinDrake, Addison Mills, Dom Liberati, Caroline Brooks, Go Kart Mozart @ Hotel Cafe
- Neil Diamond @ The Greek
- John Doe, Gram Rabbit @ Pershing Square
- Loafer's Glory @ McCabe's
- Red Hot Chili Peppers, Janelle Monae @ Staples Center
- White Denim, Seasons @ The Troubadour
- Happy Hollows, Gliss, New Mexico, Lo Fi Sugar @ The Satellite
- Doran Danoff, The Californian, Goldman, Ryan Traster @ Bootleg Bar
- James Supercave, Body Parts, Maston, Wintertime Carousel @ Pehrspace
Here's a quandary! The Happy Hollows (at left) have a big show at The Satellite with another favorite of mine, Gliss and The Californian are at Bootleg Bar with Doran Danoff. But on top of that, Seasons (at right) are at The Troubadour, asked to open for White Denim, and I would love to see them there.
Sunday, August 12
- Andrew Bird, Sharon Van Etten @ The Greek
- Sigur Rós, Julia Holter @ Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever Cemetery
- Grand Ole Echo w/ The Broken Numbers Band, Rt N' the 44's, Mick Rhodes & the Hard 8 @ The Echo (5 PM)
- Wymond Miles, Young Prisms, Exploding Flowers @ The Echo (10 PM)
- Dan Bern, Common Rotation, The Richie West Band, Jillinda & Mustang @ 1642 Bar
- Geographer @ Levitt Pavilion at MacArthur Park
- Kelly Hogan @ McCabe's
- Midtown Dickens, Hi Ho Silver Oh, Miles Seaton @ Bootleg Bar
- Red Hot Chili Peppers, Janelle Monae @ Staples Center
- Tennis, J Thoven @ El Rey
Andrew Bird headlines at The Greek tonight and even though I've seen him four times before, it's been 3 years since I last saw him and I think his new album, Break It Yourself, may be his best yet. So I'm very excited for this show, with Sharon Van Etten. His singing is more assured than ever and his masterful playing of his violin is an inspiration. And who else used his whistle so effectively.
Sigur Ros (at right) has a show at the Masonic Lodge at Hollywood Forever Cemetery that sold out as fast as it was announced months ago. Young Prisms are at The Echo, Jillinda & Mustang play and host a show at 1642, Hi Ho Silver Oh perform at Bootleg Bar, and Tennis move on up to El Rey.
Sorry for any misspellings...Spell check isn't working.