by Brad Roberts
After eight concerts in eight days, I need some recuperative time before the next flurry of furious activity. Celebrating a birthday and having a week's vacation from work are the order of the day. The stimulation and excitement of seeing such amazing music last week made the going easy. From Andrew Bird and Grandaddy, to the re-emergence of Earlimart and Three Mile Pilot, the new and inspirational music of College Kids and Doom & Gloom, the blossoming of Fort King, and the satisfaction of a spectacular display by The Henry Clay People at Bootleg on Saturday. Can it get any better than that?
We'll find out next Saturday when Echo Park Rising presents close to 100 bands at popular east side establishments like The Echo, Echoplex, Taix Lounge, Lot 1 and Origami Vinyl. Bands like The Abigails, A House for Lions, Amanda Jo Williams and April Hava Shenkman will play...and that's just the A's. Born out of the shards of what was left of Sunset Junction, this TRUE community event was born and 98.7 fm decided to try to make it an annual event. As I'm all for more festivals, I say welcome.
And once I've had enough of the festival I'm heading over to The Satellite where KROQ will host Torches in their last local show for a while. Sharing the bill with Young Empress, Incan Abraham and Body Parts puts this show way up on the list of to do's.
A couple of bands we love have a couple of shows each this week. Lord Huron are back on stage after taking time to record a new album, Lonesome Dreams, due out on October 9. They play the sold out Divine Fits show at Hotel Cafe on Tuesday and play at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA on Friday night. Everest also have two shows this week and both are free. Monday at "School Night!" at Bardot (with an RSVP) and Tuesday at Amoeba Music at 7 PM.
Monday, August 20
- "School Night!" w/ Everest, Lucy Schrawtz, Sierra Noble @ Bardot
- Wildcat! Wildcat!, Rio Bravo, NO, The Union Line @ The Echo
- SuperSoul Monday w/ Jason Joseph & The Spectacular w/ special guests, Noah Gundersen, Clark
Graham, Midian @ Hotel Cafe
- Francisco The Man, LA Font, Spaceships, Yellow Red Sparks @ The Satellite
- Golden State, @ Los Globos
- Meg Myers, Ertel, Holly Conlan, Ryan Darton @ Bootleg Bar
- Sean Carnage presents Realization Orchestra, Redwound, Modern Concert, Single Mothers @ Pehrspace
I was so impressed with the Everest show at The Troubadour a couple of weeks ago (my photo at right) that I want to take advantage of one of their two free shows this week. Either tonight at the "School Night!" event at Bardot, or tomorrow at Amoeba. I may go to the Wildcat! Wildcat! show at The Echo to see NO, who I want to see many times before they get too big, and sharing the bill with The Union Line makes this a high recommendation. Francisco The Man has a good line up at The Satellite as well.
Tuesday, August 21
- Divine Fits, Lord Huron @ Hotel Cafe
- Everest @ Amoeba Music
- Mike Viola, Chris Price, Tim Bergstrom @ Bootleg Bar
- Western Scene @ Origami Vinyl
- The Ross Sea Party, The Breakups, Dylan Trees @ The Central
- A Tribute to The Clash w/ Joey and Andy Siara, Brian Whelan, Marine and Scrote, Duniven, The C4, The Bixby Knolls @ The Satellite
- Dethtrip Forever, Mothers of Gut, The Electric Starfish @ Redwood Bar
- Oneohtrix Point Never, James Ferraro, Rene Hell @ The Echo
- Poliça, Supreme Cuts @ Echoplex
- So & So, Scott Mellis, COYOL @ Bootleg Bar
- The Peach Kings, The Muddy Reds @ Harvard & Stone
Since there seems little chance of getting in to the sold out show that Lord Huron has at Hotel Cafe tonight, with Divine Fits (and they play again on Friday at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA) I'll start the day at Amoeba at 7 to see Everest, which is always something of a homecoming as Russell Pollard is a former employee. Then I can move on to either The Satellite for the Tribute to The Clash with Joey and Andy Siara, Duniven and The Bixby Knolls or out to Santa Monica for The Ross Sea Party and The Breakups at The Central.
Wednesday, August 22
- Common Rotation, Dan Bern, David & Devine, Eliza Rickman @ Hotel Cafe
- "Desert Nights" w/ Jules Larsen, Song Preservation Society, Fleeting Heart @ The Standard
- Anita Baker, Esperanza Spalding @ Hollywood Bowl
- Open Mike Andrews, Snowblink @ Bootleg Bar
- The Makepeace Brothers, Measure, Liz Pappademas @ Witzend
- Cigarette Bums, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Take Pictures @ Lot 1
- Dana Falconberry, The Driftwood Singers, Triple Chicken Foot @ The Satellite
- Ice Age release party, Philly Moves, special guest @ The Central
- Tashaki Miyaki, Residual Echoes, Pink Films, Night Control @ The Echo
- Yellow Alex & The Feelings, Quetzal, Mia Doi Todd & Fabiano Do Nascimento, Gaby Hernandez & The Light, Kara Mack, Balandugu Kan, Zoom B @ The Virgil
Thursday, August 23
- La Santa Cecilia @ Skirball Cultural Center
- Viernes 13, LA RESISTENCIA, The Delirians @ Levitt Pavillion in MacArthur Park
- The Rescues, Jesse Thomas, Erin McLaughlin, Mariah McManus @ Hotel Cafe
- Civil Twilight, Morning Parade, Frank + Derol @ El Rey
- Viza, The Dirty Diamond, Eternal Mind Control, Fairway, Alpanian @ The Troubadour
- The Entrance Band, Jeffertiti's Nile, The Chuck Dukowski Sextet @ The Satellite
- State to State, Jonny Polonsky, Even Oceans @ Bootleg Bar
- Joi, Jimetta Rose, Johnnie Heartbreak & The Radical Legs @ The Echo
The Entrance Band have copies of their new album, at right, available at this month's residency at The Satellite. Tonight's installment includes Jeffertitti's Nile. Or enjoy outdoor music with Viernes 13 at Levitt Pavilion in MacArthur Park or go up to the Skirball for La Santa Cecilia.
Friday, August 24
- Cults, Lord Huron @ The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA
- He's My Brother, She's My Sister @ California Plaza (12 noon)
- Dime Runner @ Origami Vinyl
- Matt Embree of Rx Bandit & Vinnie Caruana of The Movielife, Satellite, Tumbleweed Wanderers,
York @ Hotel Cafe
- Plague Vendor, Drug Cabin, Wild Pack of Canaries, Frnch Cnt @ Lot 1
- Roy Book Binder @ McCabe's
- Truth and Salvage Co., Foster Timms @ The Troubadour
- Shlohmo With Salva, LOL Boys, and Groundislava @ Echoplex
- AM & Shawn Lee, The One AM Radio, Shanee Pink @ The Satellite
- Julia Holter, Raw Geronimo, Tes Elations @ The Echo
- Quote Unquote, Judgement Day, Silian Rail, Kim Free @ Pehrspace
- Robert Schwartzman, Jamestown Revival, Patrick Park @ Bootleg Bar
This is the night I should go downtown to The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA to see Lord Huron (at right). I've heard through the grapevine that their new album is very special and I'd like to see them before it comes out. Their hybrid mix of reggae, tropical and indie beats is highly contageous and infectious and it's been way too long since they've been around. Cults are headlining.
He's My Brother She's My Sister have a free show in California Plaza at noon. AM & Shawn Lee are at The Satellite and Robert Schwartzman head a strong line up at Bootleg Bar tonight, before the big day tomorrow.
Saturday, August 25
- Echo Park Rising w/ almost everybody! @ The Echo, Echoplex, Taix Lounge
- Echo Park Rising w/ The Ukulady & The Evil Sandwiches, April Hava Shenkman, Mista Cookie Jar & The Chocolate Chips, Jackie Jones, Don Black, Astrid & Spud Strudelman, Henry Wolfe, Virginia Reed, The Withers, Betty White, Chiefs, Sunfighter @ Lot 1
- Echo Park Rising @ Origami Vinyl
- Torches, Incan Abraham, Body Parts, Young Empress @ The Satellite
- Charlotte Martin, Jacqueline Caruso, Field Report, Sometimes We Sing Together, The Gallery @ Hotel Cafe
- Ana Tijoux, Nomadic Massive @ California Plaza
- Eleni Mandell, David Dondero @ McCabe's
- Go Betty Go, The Dollyrots, Get Set Go, Dizzy Stilettos @ The Satellite
- IE, Horsemeat, Pure Shit, Wimp and Shrimp, Suzi Star @ Pehrspace
- Mutations, Kill For Kicks, Bodysnatchers, LA Coyote @ The Smell
- Princeton @ Mandrake
Echo Park Rising comes back for a second year, courtesy of 98.7fm. After the fiasco of the last minute cancellation of last year's Sunset Junction, the community refused to let the idea die and spontaneously put together backyard parties, bar room concerts and the area venues opened their doors to let bands come together and play. It was a pretty spectacular event last year and this year's looks to have a good organization behind it and neighborhood support.
The variety and number of bands is staggering this year and would take a temendous amount of bandwidth just to list them all. There's something for everyone with a line up that included The Black Apples, Fort King, Tommy Santee Klaws, Lavender Diamond, The Far West, The Driftwood Singers, the list just goes on and on. I plan on spending a good chunk of the afternoon running from venue to venue and then settling in at The Satellite for the terrific Torches show, promoted in the above flyer.
Sunday, August 26
- VH1 Save The Music w/ Keaton Simons, Curtis Peoples, Dee Dee Foster, A.Men, Chrissy Depauw, Tongue & Groove @ Hotel Cafe
- Brass Bed @ Origami Vinyl
- Geoff Muldaur w/ Jim Kweskin & Suzy Thompson @ McCabe's
- The Blank Tapes, Brass Bed, Aram Arslanian @ Bootleg Bar
- WHIRR, Permanent Collection, Tennis System The Echo