by Brad Roberts
Ordinarily I might not highlight something happening so far away, but so much of the local scene takes part and attends this affair each year that I feel compelled to put it up front. The 2012 Los Angeles Lobster Festival is featuring such acts as the long absent Great Northern, set to finish up a new album. Races and Saint Motel are also on tap for Friday. Saturday is packed with talent for an all-day line up that includes Sara Radle, The Damselles & The TC4, NO and Dum Dum Girls. The Blasters and Jail Weddings bring the festival to a "Smell-like" close on Sunday.
Lavender Diamond will begin a three week residency run at The Echo on Monday, culminating in the release of the new album Incorruptible Heart on September 25. It's wonderful to have them back on the local stage again. An unusual and enticing event takes place on Sunday in North Hollywood when the Federal Bar hosts Mimosa Music Series. Torches, who are about to go on a national tour for the first time starting on September 28, are opening for Sea Wolf, who are releasing a new album, Old World Romance, on Tuesday, September 11. This show is a bagels and minosa brunch that takes place from 11 AM till 2 PM. Where else would you be on a Sunday?
Our favorite local superstars, Silversun Pickups are in town to play the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium for their local stop on the national tour. I guess I'm in the minority, but I really like their new album, Neck of the Woods, and would enjoy hearing it live. And a special congratulations to Tommy Santee Klaws and last Saturday's launch of their newest and best album Of Light. It is released on the new label Outpost Records and represents a giant leap forward in the quality of their recordings. It is a gorgeous record.
Monday, September 10
- SuperSoul Monday w/ Jason Joseph & The Spectaculars and special guests, Ben Sollee, Steve Forbert @ Hotel Cafe
- Lavender Diamond, Bart Davenport, Bouquet, Daymoon @ The Echo
- Father Tiger, Walla @ Los Globos upstairs (8 PM)
- Ghiant, Blackwater Jukebox, Sadie & The Blue Eyed Devils @ Los Globos upstairs (9 PM)
- Social Studies @ Origami Vinyl
- Kitten, Nova Albion, Hindu Pirates, Y Luv, Baron Von Luxxury @ Bootleg Bar
- "School Night!" w/ Ben Taylor, Yael Meyer, Quiet Hounds, Beat Club @ Bardot
- Big Sir, Softness, ESP, Blackbush @ Echoplex
- The Lonely Wild, Seasons, Son Ark @ The Satellite
- Youth Code, Born of Ritual, Sneaky Snake, more @ Pehrspace
The week starts off with a bang as Lavender Diamond gets added to the mix of Monday residencies, starting tonight at The Echo. In anticipation of the September 25th release date for their new, long-awaited album Incorruptible Heart, Lavender Diamond will play the next three Mondays and then go off on a limited tour of the Northeast, ending up in my hometown on Boston on September 30. All advance word indicates this album is a stunner and judging from the performance I saw at Hotel Cafe back in July, it is. Great shot from a recent video shoot at right.
The Lonely Wild had a residency last week that was definitely wild, and decidedly not lonely. The Satellite was packed, and the line up was stellar. Same thing this week with Seasons and Son Ark rounding out the bill. Kitten is continuing over at Bootleg Bar with Baron Von Luxury and Rebecca Balin is hosting two back-to-back shows at Los Globos featuring Father Tiger and Ghiant.
Tuesday, September 11
- My Morning Jacket, Portugal the Man @ The Wiltern
- Swans, Xiu Xiu @ Henry Fonda Music Box Theatre
- Buzzbands LA presents Alaska Reid, Michael Davis, The Sweet Hurt @ Lot 1
- Bravesoul, Wanderlust, Ben Wilkins @ Hotel Cafe
- Angus Stone, Tumbleweed Wanders @ The Troubadour
- The Muddy Reds, Skyline Drive, Freshair, Lyon Crowns @ The Central
- The Cigarette Bums, Criminal Hygiene @ Bootleg Bar
- TRUST, DZ Deathrays @ The Echo
I saw My Morning Jacket at The Greek a couple of years ago and it was mighty impressive. Good solid songs, charismatic performers and a gigantic sound that filled the venue. If it was a little predictable and studied seeming, it didn't keep me from enjoying it, but to compare them to another similar band, say Elbow, where one is inspiring, My Morning Jacket feels a little programmed. They do have a very beautiful stage lighting design and it lends a bit of psychedelia to the atmosphere (see right). But their popularity cannot be denied as evidenced by three big nights at The Wiltern starting tonight. They have very attractive support from Portugal The Man today, Iron and Wine tomorrow (for whom I almost bought a ticket) and Shabazz Palaces on Thursday. There are still tickets available for all three shows.
Buzzbands LA hosts it's Second Tuesday night at Lot 1, which always introduces us to new exciting performers while featuring local stalwarts like The Sweet Hurt. The Muddy Reds continue their residency at The Central as well.
Wednesday, September 12
- Las Cafeteras @ Amoeba Music
- Wheeler Brothers w/ special guests, Keaton Simons, Ari Herstand @ Hotel Cafe
- "Desert Nights" w/ CB Brand, Stephen Sowan, Rachel Dean @ The Standard
- Blondie, Devo @ The Greek
- My Morning Jacket, Iron and Wine @ The Wiltern
- The Deepsea Goes, Nedy, Bullet and Snowfox, Cash Crop @ The Central
- The Walkmen, Milo Greene @ John Anson Ford Amphitheatre
- She Keeps Bees, In The Valley Below, Sadie & the Blue-Eyed Devils @ Bootleg Theatre
- Peg Leg Love, Atomic Bride, Haunted Tiger Wild Pink Horse @ Redwood Bar
- The Abyssinians, Mexico68 @ Echoplex
- The Blank Tapes, The People's Temple, The Withers @ The Satellite
Originally from San Francisco, The Blank Tapes (at right) have a charming old hippie band sound that just seems to pour out of them; appealing, unpretentious and direct music that is a lot of fun. Indie garage/folk is an apt description of them. They're joining the bill at The Satellite with The People's Temple. This is also the night that one of my all-time favorite live artists, Iron and Wine, opens for My Morning Jacket at The Wiltern. Or take a trip down memory lane with Blondie and Devo at The Greek.
Thursday, September 13
- Azalia Snail, NOW @ Origami Vinyl
- The Goods, Kari Kimmel, IAMEVE, Marley Munroe, Marie Moreshead @ Hotel Cafe
- Aziz Ansari @ Orpheum Theatre
- My Morning Jacket, Shabazz Palaces @ The Wiltern
- Shine So Hard, War Drum, Alih Jey, Loch and Key @ Lot 1
- Silversun Pickups, School of Seven Bells, Atlas Genius @ Santa Monica Civic Auditorium
- The Shivers, Brontosaurus Rex @ Los Globos
- The Vaccines, Deap Vally @ The Troubadour
- He's My Brother She's My Sister, Zodiac Death Valley @ Harvard & Stone
- Los Straitjackets, Big Sandy and His Fly-rite Boys @ Echoplex
- Pokey Lafarge and The South City Three, The Two Man Gentlemen Band, The Driftwood Singers @ The Echo
- Robert Francis, Vinnie Ferra @ Bootleg Bar
- The Dustbowl Revival, The Defibulators, Homesick Elephant @ The Satellite
It's starting to get real busy with tonight's exhaustive choices. First of all, I would love to see Silversun Pickups (at right) performing their new album, Neck of the Woods, live but I'm not willing to go to the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium to do it. Sarah Negahdari is waiting in the wings to take over for Nikki Monninger, when she takes maternity leave and I'm hoping maybe for a secret intimate Los Angeles show. Please? Tonight they swing through on tour with School of Seven Bells in support.
Elsewhere Azalia Snail and NOW are playing a free show at Origami Vinyl, Deap Vally are at The Troubadour opening for The Vaccines, Robert Francis is back and at Bootleg Bar, while The Dustbowl Revival can be seen at The Satellite.
Friday, September 14
- 2012 Lobster Festival w/ Saint Motel, Races, Great Northern @ Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro
- People's Temple @ Origami Vinyl
- Lianne La Havas @ Amoeba Music
- Teitur w/ Kita Klane, Song Preservation Society Record Release Show, Steven Roth, The Good Hurt, Wages @ Hotel Cafe
- Fiona Apple, Blake Mills @ The Greek
- Aziz Ansari @ Orpheum Theatre
- AgeandAges, Steve Taylor, Posse, Andy Clockwise DJ set, Big Tree @ The Central
- B. Slade, King Washington, Julia Othmer, Jackie Bristow, Zack Montana @ Witzend
- Black Crystal Wolf Kids @ The Good Hurt
- Dirk Hamilton @ McCabe's
- Los Amigos Invisibles, DJ Wisacre, DJ Jeremy Sole @ The Troubadour
- The Hives, FIDLAR, Luis and The Wildfires @ The Wiltern
- Chelsea Wolfe, CRYPTS, Gothic Tropic @ The Echo
- Fell To Low, The Action Index, Char-Man, Heavy Air @ The Smell
- Sinjin Hawke, Clicks & Whistles, Fuzz, Keltronix @ Los Globos
- Tommy Peacock, The Crazy Squeeze, The Devil Dogs, Silly String @ The Down & Out
- Eternal Summers, DZ Deathrays, Bleeding Rainbows, Special Guest @ Bootleg Theatre
Oh to not have to work and miss The 2012 Los Angeles Lobster Festival down in San Pedro, would have been very nice. Especially in light of the anticiation I feel about the forthcoming album by Great Northern (at right)...three years in the making, that they'll undoubtedly introduce at this shindig. Races are also appearing today, and the starring act Saint Motel.
Saturday, September 15
- 2012 Lobster Festival w/ Dum Dum Girls, JJAMZ, NO, Youngblood Hawk, Damselles & The TC4, Sara Radle and more @ Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro
- Saturdays Off The 405 w/ Poolside @ The Getty Center
- Harper Blynn & friends, Sonos, Matt Ellis @ Hotel Cafe
- Sock Puppet Sitcom Theatre - Roseanne (1988) @ The Echo (7 PM)
- Y Luv, Parker Ainsworth, Odd Us, Act As If, Elevators, Mind the Gap @ The Central
- Dave Navarro birthday bash @ McCabe's (7:30 & 10 PM)
- Austra, Nightmare Fortress, Vice Device @ El Rey
- The Bolts, Hudson, Young Beautiful In A Hurry, DJ Josh Stevens, Jeremy Passion @ The Troubadour
- Luna Is Honey, Michael Nhat, Bastidas, Brannigan's Law @ The Smell
- Terraplane Sun, The Mowgli's, The Silver Lake Chorus @ The Satellite
- The Seshen, Gavin Turek @ Bootleg Bar
Today's line up at The 2012 Los Angeles Lobster Festival is pretty great with headliners Dum Dum Girls and JJAMZ. Also appearing are some of our most talented local bands, NO, The Damselles & The TC4 and Sara Radle (at right). In town, Terraplane Sun are at The Satellite with The Silver Lake Chorus.
Sunday, September 16
- 2012 Lobster Festival w/ The Blasters, Jail Weddings, Battleme and more @ Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro
- Sea Wolf, Torches @ Federal Bar (11 AM)
- Tapioca & The Flea, Josh Boyd, very special surprise guest @ Lot 1 (12 noon)
- Tongue & Groove, IN-Q @ Hotel Cafe
- Casey Neill, Molly Bryant & John Spiker @ Bootleg Bar
- Freedy Johnston @ McCabe's
- Little Feat, The Villains @ El Rey
- Mac DeMarco, Ringo Deathstarr, Catwalk @ The Echo
- Royal Degal, P R O T E C T M E, A White Hunter, Burgers, Bachsung @ The Smell
Sea Wolf and Torches play an early show for the Mimosa Music Series at the Federal Bar in North Hollywood at 11 AM. Perfect way to start the day. Sea Wolf released their new album this week and it has already created a buzz, and Torches are Torches. Any regular reader of this column knows what I think of them. They only have a couple of more local shows before they go out on national tour and who knows what will happen than. I predict The Fonda or El Rey are in their near future.