by Brad Roberts
Busy week for us here at Radio Free Silver Lake, hosting two big shows. Monday we're presenting one of our favorite bands, The Lonely Wild, as they begin a month long residency at The Satellite Joined by the latest dynamic incarnation of Tenlons Fort, which proves that Jack Gibson has an unerring ear for always pulling in top drawer talent to play with him, makes this show one of the top draws of the week. After your Labor Day BBQ, this is the place to go.
Jillinda Palmer bursts into her own with an astonishing debut album, Lazy Sun, and we at Radio Free Silver Lake are proud to present the Record Release Party for one of the best albums of the year at The Satellite on Wednesday night. Geronimo Getty are also on the bill, so this will be one not to miss.
Divine Fits seem poised for superstardom based on their pedigree and the high quality of their first album and the inability to get into any of their sold out shows. The are at The Echo on Tuesday before setting out for Toronto, New York and festivals in Nashville, San Francisco and North Carolina.
I especially want to point out the show on Saturday night for Tommy Santee Klaws Record Release for their latest album Of Light at Echo Country Outpost. Of particular note is the fact that it's the first release for this already fables venue's first venture into music distribution, Outpost Records. Congratulations to Tommy and Chris Hajek of the Outpost. There's a stellar line up of musicians set to play the show including Dirt Bird and Nora Keyes. That night I'll be hosting my Feed Your Head night at Lot 1 with The Breakups, Soular Brothers and Ruthann Friedman, as well as Eugene Carmel.
Monday, September 3
- Gothic Tropic (Cecelia solo), Derde Verde, Never At Night, Palace Walls, The Echo and The Sound @ Los Globos Downstairs
- SuperSoul Monday w/ Jason Joseph & The Spectacular w/ special guests @ Hotel Cafe
- The Lonely Wild, Tenlons Fort, Dylan Trees, The Wild Reeds @ The Satellite
- Old Man Gloom, William Fowler Collins, Sad Vicious, Ides of Gemini @ The Echo
- Kitten, AB & the Sea, Sky Ferreira, Spaceships @ Bootleg Bar
- Eyehategod, Lack of Interest, Nausea, Fetus Eaters, Seven Sisters of Sleep @ Los Globos Upstairs
- "School Night!" w/ Def Sound, DJ set by Nick Waterhouse @ Bardot
- So Many Wizards, Moses Campbell, Peter Pants, Brown and Blue, Wide Streets @ The Smell
Radio Free Silver Lake is proud to present the first Monday of The Lonely Wild September residency at The Satellite. This insanely talented band (that's my photo at right from The Federal Bar in July) has been one of the hardest working and committed bands around town lately and it's payed off with a devoted fan base. We at RFSL are particularly happy to be a part of it. Also on the bill are Tenlons Fort, who are about to take their current all-star line up on a brief tour of the Pacific Northwest. With Dylan Trees and The Wild Reeds on board, this becomes one must see show.
Tuesday, September 4
- Cat Power record signing @ Amoeba Music
- Divine Fits, Daughn Gibson @ The Echo
- Magnolius + Fresh Kils, Max Star of Broken Complex, Swingy Recordings, Leagues, Tiger Stripe @ The Satellite
- The Dignitary Loss, Black Lullabies @ 3 of Clubs
- Bravesoul, Jo Krasevich, The Hang, Sara Johnston @ Hotel Cafe
- Gaby Moreno record release @ Largo at the Coronet
- Gotye, Chairlift, Jonti @ Greek Theatre
- The Janks, Jesus and the Rabbis, Sarah Ault, The Haun Solo Project, Kissing and the Hiccups @ Bar Lubitsch
- The Muddy Reds, Octosaurus, Triple Dog Dare, DJ sets by Freshair @ The Central
- The Tallest Man On Earth, Strand of Oaks @ John Anson Ford Amphitheatre
- Voxhaul Broadcast, Magic Wands, The New Limb, Silk Jamz @ The Viper Room
- Amanda Jo Williams, Crooked Cowboy & The Freshwater Indians, VUM @ Echoplex
- Blackbear, Somewhere Else and K. Rudd, Nylo, DVNNY SETH @ Bootleg Bar
There's been such a groundswell of buzz about the new band Divine Fits (at right) that I gave them a listen, went out and bought their album, A Thing Called Divine Fits, and instantly became addicted to it. All this was before I knew that Dan Boeckner of Wolf Parade was in the band, along with Britt Daniel of Spoon. As a fan of Wolf Parade (and Handsome Furs), I was glad to hear Dan's voice on many of the songs, though the style of this band is nothing like those other two bands, it's like futuristic techno-dance music for smart people. If you're not dancing around your apartment before this record is over, you're dead. Before they blow up big and only play major houses I wanted to catch them at a place like The Echo, where they have a sold out show tonight. I'm still trying to get in somehow, but it seems unlikely.
Wednesday, September 5
- RFSL presents Jillinda Palmer record release, Geronimo Getty, Charlie Limousine, Walter Spencer @ The Satellite
- Emma Louise, Kita Klane, David & Devine, Armada record release @ Hotel Cafe
- "Desert Nights" w/ Ruthann Friedman, Michelle Vidal, Fort King @ The Standard
- Cab 20, Cogito, Froth, Erik Lake @ Lot 1
- Janina & the Deeds, Rock Steady @ The Central
- Makepeace Brothers @ Witzend
- Rose's Pawn Shop, The Far West @ The Troubadour
- Sister Ruby Band with Douglas and the Furs, Blac Jesus & The Experimentalists, SneakPeak @ The Echo
- The Derek Trucks Band With BB King and Tedeschi Trucks Band @ Hollywood Bowl
- Shihan, Natalie Patterson @ Bootleg Bar (9 PM)
- Mark Lane @ Bootel Bar (10:30 PM)
- Suzi Analogue, Elephant & Castle, Alluxe @ The Airliner
- Taylor Locke and The Roughs, Skyline Drive @ 3 of Clubs
After watching her develop from an accompanist in more local bands than I can remember, it's thrilling so see Jillinda Palmer (seen on the right in a photo by Dierdre Holmes) come into her own as an artist. Her stunning album is called Lazy Sun, and showcases a range and songwriting ability that has remained largely untapped till now. Radio Free Silver Lake has the privilege of presenting the Record Release Party at The Satellite tonight, and the buzz surrounding this is already pretty awesome. We all knew she could sing and play, but this is a revelation. Backed by remarkable orchestrations, and an obvious knowledge of the history of popular music, this is a startlingly self-assured debut. I can't wait for this show!
If it weren't for the above show I would go to West Hollywood to The Standard for "Desert Nights" event with Ruthann Friedman and Fort King. Both were so impressive at Echo Park Rising. In fact Ruthann Friedman is appearing at my Feed Your Head show at Lot 1 on Saturday.
Thursday, September 6
- Best Coast, NO @ Santa Monica Pier
- Sweet Talk Radio record release, Passenger, Yellow Red Sparks @ Hotel Cafe
- Ingenue, The Black Lullabies, The Lost Years, Crescendo @ Lot 1
- Angels Landing and Belmont Lights With Midnight Mirage and Echo Smith @ Bootleg Theatre
- John C Reilly and Friends @ Largo at the Coronet
- Negativland, Moebius @ Echoplex
- Rod Melancon, Brian Whelan, Ben Redell Band @ The Satellite
- Sea Lions, Black Elephant, Peachy Keene, This Time With FEELING @ The Smell
- Spirit Vine, Detective, Last in Class @ The Echo
- The Picture and the Frame @ The Airliner
Well this is another good opportunity to go out to the ocean and listen to some fine music on Santa Monica Pier. NO (at right) will provide luscious harmonies to accompany the setting of the sun into the Pacific. They are providing the opening set for Best Coast and it's the last concert of this year's Twilight Concert Series.
Friday, September 7
- Madi Diaz, The Young Romans, Holly Conlan, The Cerny Brothers, Juliet Piper, Britton @ Hotel Cafe
- Crosby, Stills & Nash @ Greek Theatre
- Jeff Kollman, Alpanian, JIBILIAN/SETAR/WISDOM, Ronny North @ The Troubadour
- Minus Jenny, Legs of Cake, Brainspoon, The Bellhaunts @ Lot 1
- Pegi Young & The Survivors @ McCabe's
- The Heavy, The Silent Comedy @ El Rey
- Big Black Delta, Omniflux, Battle Tapes Bootleg Theatre
- Cardboard Lamb record release, Siddhartha, The Shadow Fire, Single Palms @ The Satellite
- The Fresh and Onlys, Terry Malts, Exploding Flowers @ The Echo
- The Bachs, The Middle Initials, Allie Bach @ Casey's Bar
Saturday, September 8
- Echoes West w/ Strawberry Alarm Clock, Dead Meadow, Lords of Altamont, Spindrift and more @ Echoplex
- Eddie Berman, The Far West, Patrolled by Radar, Dustbowl Revival @ Hotel Cafe
- Tommy Santee Klaws "Of Light" Record Release Event w/ Madame Headdress, Kitchen Hips, Dirt Bird, Nora Keyes, White Dove @ Echo Country Outpost
- Feed Your Head presents The Breakups, Soular Brothers, Ruthann Friedman, Eugene Carmel @ Lot 1
- Jackshit @ McCabe's
- Manhattan Murder Mystery, Luna is Honey, Craters, Michael Nhat @ The Satellite
- Mini Mansions, Line & Circle, Jesse Kivel, Harriet @ The Central
- Feeding People, Corners, Wide Streets @ The Smell
- Crown Plaza, Social Studies, Body Parts, Geoff Geis @ Pehrspace
,Tonight is the night I want to split myself in at least three pieces and each of these pieces need to go to two shows. The one it breaks my heart to miss is the Tommy Santee Klaws Record Release Party at Echo Country Outpost to celebrate their amazing new album. I think the magic of their live shows has finally been caught on disk. But tonight I host my monthly Feed Your Head night at Lot 1 with The Breakups, Soular Brothers, Ruthann Friedman and Eugene Carmel, so I'll be tied up there. Meanwhile, Manhattan Murder Mystery will be tearing up The Echo, The Far West are at Hotel Cafe and Mini Mansions are at The Central. All this is on top of an all-afternoon Psychedelic festival, "Echoes West" at Echoplex with Strawberry Alarm Clock and Dead Meadow among others.
Sunday, September, 9
- Grand Ole Echo w/ Susan James, Ladies Gun Club, Leslie Stevens @ The Echo (5 PM)
- Pink Martini, China Forbes @ Greek Theatre
- Hot Chip, Passion Pit, Omar Souleyman @ Hollywood Bowl
- Josh Garrels premieres the film "Sea in Between" + a special live performance @ Hotel Cafe
- O'Brien Party of 7 featuring Tim @ McCabe's
- Sonus Quartet @ Bootleg Theatre
- Thee Oh Sees, Sic Alps, Mallard, Zig Zags @ El Rey
- Cosmetics, Soft Metals, Terminal Twilight @ The Echo
Hot Chip at Hollywood Bowl...Hot Chip at Hollywood Bowl. What else can I say. No matter is it The Troubadour of if it's Hollywood Bowl, this band nails it every time! And finally, a weekend without a festival.