by Brad Roberts
The week slows down considerably as we slouch toward Thanksgiving, making for a seriously short Show Low Down. Growing up just north of Plymouth, Mass., I was taken to see the Mayflower (on right) many times during school field trips, so I think it makes an appropriate holiday image. Monday is the best night of the week for me as I can go to three shows in one night if I want to. Beginning with Lord Huron at Amoeba Music at 7, and ending with Fort King over at Harvard & Stone. There's shows with Patrick Watson and Manhattan Murder Mystery and The Health Club, but most of our local acts seem pretty quiet this week. Doubtless gearing up for the hectic run of holiday shows in December. And I'm hearing rumors about New Years Eve that are tempting.
I'll be spending a good deal of time in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery next month as well (no, I'm not taking up residence there). The Mountain Goats are playing a show on December 12, while DeVotchKa with The Chamber Orchestra play two nights because the first one on December 13 sold out so fast they had to schedule another show for the next night. I'm going on December 14.
I'll be hosting a couple of Feed Your Head shows at Lot 1 on December 1st and 18th. More on those later. The Pacific Northwest's Horse Feathers are coming back to town in December at The Echo and their show there last May was one of the year's highlights.
Now to this weeks festivities...
Monday, November 19
- Lord Huron @ Amoeba Music
- SuperSoul Monday w/ Jason Joseph & The Spectacular w/ special guests, The New Limb, Hot Bodies In Motion, Belmont Lights @ Hotel Cafe
- The Joy Formidable, J. Thoven @ The Troubadour
- In The Valley Below, The Withers, Spirit Vine, Special Guest @ Bootleg Bar
- "School Night!" w/ Standing Hawthorn, RuthAnne @ Bardot
- Alexis Gideon @ Pehrspace
- Dream Panther, Habits, Social Studies, Monte Mar @ Echoplex
- Princess Pangolin @ Lot 1
- The Abigails, Summer Twins, The Blank Tapes, Brent Rademaker @ The Echo
- The Record Company, Soft Swells, Irontom, A House for Lions @ The Satellite
- Wrightwood, Ryan Traster, Fort King @ Harvard & Stone
With their fame and reputation taking off on the strength of the fantastic new album, Lonesome Dreams, expect big crowds at Amoeba this evening when Lord Huron (see right) play a free in-store at 7 PM. I am currently obsessed with the song "In The Wind" and think it's quite one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard. I love that sudden abrupt ending. You could then go over to The Echo to see The Blank Tapes opening for The Abigails and end up at Harvard & Stone for a late show with Fort King, playing with Ryan Traster. This is kind of irresistible and a great way to start the week!
Tuesday, November 20
- Enrique Bunbury @ Hollywood Palladium
- Gavin Turek, Namebrand, Cayucas, The Pocket Rockets @ The Central
- HABITS, N-O-W, Big Bugs, Dreamboat Crusaderz @ The L.A. Fort
- Rachael Yamagata, Ed Romanoff, Adrien Reju @ El Rey
- A Tribute to ABBA w/ Psychic Friend, Thorcraft Cobra, Boys School, I am Eve, Sue Scrofa @ The Satellite
- The Internet, Quadron, Robert Raimon Roy, Reve Devito & Roane Namuh @ Echoplex
- Whale Fall, Barrows @ Bootleg Bar
- Wintersleep, Elliott Brood @ The Echo
Wednesday, November 21
- "Church Sessions" w/ Patrick Watson, Half Moon Run @ The First Unitarian Church of Los Angeles
- Josh Kelley, Jackie Does Joel, Rafe Pearlman, Juliet Piper, Black Cobra Vipers @ Hotel Cafe
- "Desert Nights" w/ Lael Neale, Song Preservation Society, Zeltzer and the Tortoise @ The Standard
- Deftones, Scars on Broadway @ Hollywood Palladium
- Beware of Darkness @ The Library at The Redbury
- Pierce the Veil, Tonight Alive, Hands Like Houses @ The Wiltern
- RNDM, Line & Circle @ The Troubadour
- American Death Truck @ Good Hurt
- Rukus Roboticus, Go Go Bizkitt!, The Phantoms Revenge @ The Central
- Swim Lessons, Sam Outlaw, Ben White @ Bootleg Bar
- The Do-Its, Liam Gerner, The Long Fall @ The Satellite
Nice show over at The First Unitarian Church of Los Angeles for their "Church Sessions" with Patrick Watson. The reverential atmosphere adds a touch of mystery to music there as I observed when I saw Lost in the Trees a few weeks ago. The photo at right is from that show and shows the jewel box atmosphere of the venue. Beware of Darkness are at The Library at The Redbury and "Desert Nights" is at The Standard. A side project of Steve Sigl of The Happy Casualties is called American Death Truck and they appear tonight on Venice Blvd. at Good Hurt.
Thursday, November 22
Friday, November 23
- It's Casual (Record Release), Fatso Jetson, The Generators, Chuck Dukowski Sextet, Buffalo Eye @ The Troubadour
- Religious Girls, M31, Stab City, Spaceships @ The L.A. Fort
- Colleen Green, Sisu, Tropical Popsicle @ The Satellite
- Holy Ghost! @ Lure
- Tamaryn, Tropic of Cancer @ The Echo
- The Health Club, Soular Brother, DEAF @ Casey's Bar
Last week's residency by The Health Club at Casey's Bar (see right) was a ball with Peg and Tenlons Fort. This week they feature Soular Brothers, who I got to play a couple of consecutive Feed Your Head shows where they delivered solid sets, so this will be another good show. The Health Club have line up changes, but still packs a nice upbeat punch. The audience loves them.
Saturday, November 24
- Counting Crows, Tender Mercies, Mean Creek @ The Wiltern
- Feed The Need IV concert w/ Visa, Snatch Magnet, Wild Betsy, Antenna, Ayline @ The Troubadour
- No Doubt, Grouplove @ Gibson Amphitheatre
- Delicate Steve, Dana Buoy @ The Satellite
- Electric Flower Group @ The Del Monte Speakeasy at Townhouse
Counting Crows at The Wiltern, Grouplove with No Doubt at Gibson Amphitheatre, Electric Flower Group at The Del Monte Speakeasy or a Feed The Need Benefit at The Troubadour. Not a lot of shows tonight, but you can hardly go wrong with this selection.
Sunday, November 25
- New Found Glory, The Story So Far, Seahaven @ The Troubadour
- German Army, Net Shaker, Merx @ The Echo
Very quiet night with just a couple of shows.